Date:	Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:35:32 +0200
From:	Christian Boltz <netdev-vger-kernel.org@...ltz.de>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Feature request: "inverted" ping -a (beep on failure)

Hello,

ping -a (beep on ping success) is a quite useful command, but it can be
annoying.

I'd like to have the exact opposite of it: beep when pinging fails.

I understand that this is slightly difficult because "ping success" is
easier to detect (incoming package) than "ping failure" (no incoming
package or firewall reject) - my proposal is to have a timeout for every
package (if no reply package comes in) and beep if no reply is seen
after the timeout is over.

For the timeout, the -W option could be used. The default timeout seems
to be 10 seconds, which is OK.

Usecase / why this would be useful for me:
Basically for server monitoring. The exact usecase is that I have rented
a "root server" and asked the hoster to exchange a broken harddisk.
With the "inverted" ping -a, it would be easy to notice when they switch
off the server to replace the disk.

Please consider this feature for the next version of ping ;-)

(The iputils homepage does not list any bugtracker or similar, therefore
I'm asking here.)

Gruß

Christian Boltz
--
"we will support any library from any repo combined with
any application" is something that NO ONE does.