Date:	Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:50:35 -0700
From:	"Rose, Gregory V" <gregory.v.rose@...el.com>
To:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
CC:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	sf-linux-drivers <linux-net-drivers@...arflare.com>
Subject: RE: rtnetlink and many VFs

Ah, I hadn't seen that it was allocating 16K, that would then be enough for 128 VFs but in the future would not be enough for 40Gig (or higher speed) devices that might support two or 4 times that many VFs.  I still feel like eventually the number of VFs will outgrow the capability of a single message to handle, especially when VFs will have the capability of having multiple MAC address and VLAN filters assigned to them.  And it seems orthogonal to me to mirror the 'ip link set eth(x) vf (n)' syntax with a 'ip link show eth(x) vf (n)' syntax.

That's just me though.

> It is certainly a bug.  rtnetlink is the currently favoured API for
> querying and configuring network device settings, but there are now
> valid device settings that cannot be queried.

I'll look into just fixing the bug for now and reserve (at least what I consider to be) future improvements for later.

- Greg