Date:	Fri, 20 May 2011 17:30:11 +0100
From:	"Lynch, Jonathan" <jonathan.lynch@...nowfactory.com>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: pktgen with vlan packets

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your quick response.

I tried your suggestion for number 1 and I got the following oops -
see log2 attached
 - i ran  tc qdisc before testing to confirm there is no qdisc for eth4.

Then I tried suggestion 2, it works and sends packets over multiple
VLAN interfaces using multiple threads.
 (When I combine suggestion 1 and 2 it crashes when I try sending to
more than 1 VLAN interface)

thanks again
Jonathan

On 20 May 2011 16:20, Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com> wrote:
> Le vendredi 20 mai 2011 à 16:03 +0100, Lynch, Jonathan a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> Im running 2.6.35 kernel with an Intel 82599 NIC.
>> I want to send packets using pktgen via a number of vlan interfaces (1
>> physical interface) created via vconfig but I get an OOPs when I try
>> and send via the vlan interface.  See attached log file for the oops.
>> Im not using the pgset "vlan_id 77" params because I want to send
>> packets with more than 1 VLAN tag to one interface. (If it was
>> possible to send packets with different vlan tags over the one
>> interface with pktgen I would use it)
>>
>> my config is as follows:
>>   ifconfig eth4 up
>>   modprobe 8021q
>>   vconfig add eth4 256
>>   ifconfig eth4.256 up
>>
>> My pktgen config is the exact same as
>> ftp://robur.slu.se/pub/Linux/net-development/pktgen-testing/examples/pktgen.conf-1-1
>> except that instead of eth1, I have eth4.256.
>>
>> Any ideas as to how I can send packets with multiple VLAN tags over
>> the same interface with pktgen?
>
> I am afraid you cant yet.
>
> About the crash, you can either :
>
> 1) delete qdisc on eth4
>
> ifconfig eth4 txqueuelen 0
> tc qdisc add dev eth0 root sfq
> tc qdisc del dev eth0 root
>
> 2) use clone_skb 0 only
>
> (Or else, same skb can be queued several time on eth4 qdisc) -> crash

View attachment "log2.txt" of type "text/plain" (5292 bytes)