Date:	Thu, 2 Jun 2011 13:33:04 -0700
From:	"Jeff Haran" <jharan@...emobile.com>
To:	Nicolas de Pesloüan
	<nicolas.2p.debian@...il.com>
Cc:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: forwarding pings out ingress interface

Nicolas,

Thanks for the response, but what you are saying above is not the case. The source and destination IP addresses in the ping are both on the 172.30/64 net, which is routable. [linux] has assigned addresses in the link-local  local range to its own interfaces, but in this case I just want [linux] to forward the IP packet unmodified (except for decrementing the TTL and the MAC addresses before the IP packet, of course). Plus, as I mentioned above [linux] forwards these packets fine if I set to route to the 172.30/16 nets out another of its interfaces.

The issue seems to be related to forwarding a packet out the same interface it came in on, but I am guessing here.

> Why do you use an IP in the link local range? For as far as I remember (but I
> failed to find the
> exact section), this RFC also forbid static configuration of an IP in this range.
>
> 	Nicolas.

Same reason everybody uses these things. These networks are on chassis backplanes and they are supposed to be hidden from the outside world, particularly we don't want the packets with 169.254 net addresses in them to get routed outside of those networks. The 169.254 network is the closest thing in IPv4 that comes to providing this functionality.

Jeff Haran