Date:	Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:43:05 +0200
From:	Kasper Dupont <kasperd@...hh.24.jul.2011.kasperd.net>
To:	Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com>
Cc:	ivecera@...hat.com, hayeswang@...ltek.com, gregkh@...e.de,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: r8169 driver crashes in 2.6.32.43

http://kasperd.net/~kasperd/r8169/

> Does something prevent you to enable a different video mode ?

I got some problems with getting the video drivers to behave
properly. I managed to get X to use the correct screen
resolution, but I haven't figured out to get the text console
to do so.

Netconsole over the network interface we are trying to debug
probably isn't the way to go. Do you think it would be feasible
to run netconsole over wifi?

> [...]
> > I tried applying this one as well (in addition to the previous
> > two). It no longer crashes, but now the network stops working
> > after the first few packets have been transmitted.
>
> Thanks for testing.
>
> > What exactly was 649f25c389e9498923b459bbffff41a2fd1d7a64
> > trying to fix in the first place?
> >
> > Before that patch the network on this machine was running fast and stable.
>
> It's frustrating.
>
> Either the hardware did not experience Rx FIFO overflow internally or it
> was able to recover from it without driver intervention. Ivan's hardware
> seems to behave differently so blindly revert
> 649f25c389e9498923b459bbffff41a2fd1d7a64 is not an option.
>
> Can you add the crap below on top of the pre "no longer crashes, no network"
> one (it will work on top of plain -git driver as well) ?

I'll give it a try.

--
Kasper Dupont -- Rigtige mænd skriver deres egne backupprogrammer
#define _(_)"d.%.4s%."_"2s" /* This is my email address */