Date:	Fri, 23 Sep 2011 07:41:36 -0700
From:	"Rose, Gregory V" <gregory.v.rose@...el.com>
To:	Ian Campbell <ijc@...lion.org.uk>,
	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>
CC:	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"konrad.wilk@...cle.com" <konrad.wilk@...cle.com>,
	Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@...tuousgeek.org>,
	"gospo@...hat.com" <gospo@...hat.com>,
	"linux-pci@...r.kernel.org" <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: [net-next 1/8] pci: Add flag indicating device has been
 assigned by KVM

We can resubmit with a more generic comment, maybe this:

/* Provide indication device is assigned by a Virtual Machine Manager */

> but that's not exactly a big deal.
>
> I suppose really the flag indicates "VF in use" rather than necessarily
> "assigned"? Would it be just as bad to have a VF driver in the host
> active when the PF was unloaded?

There is no issue with unloading an active VF in the host because the hot remove event is seen by the host and accesses to the device stop.  However, when you hot remove the device the host and it is assigned to a VM the VM is unaware of the event and has no way of propagating the hot remove event.  So it really is a VF assigned to VM flag.  There's no need to mark VFs as in use in the host.

- Greg