Date:	Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:39:15 -0700
From:	"Rose, Gregory V" <gregory.v.rose@...el.com>
To:	Jesse Gross <jesse@...ira.com>
CC:	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"gospo@...hat.com" <gospo@...hat.com>,
	Jiri Pirko <jpirko@...hat.com>
Subject: RE: [net-next 02/10] ixgbevf: Fix broken trunk vlan

From what I can tell that is the case.

>  However, what I'm trying to emphasize is that vconfig
> is not the only way that vlans can be consumed by the network stack
> and active_vlans is just an indication of whether a vlan filter was
> set, nothing more (perhaps I should have picked a better name when I
> originally designed this stuff).

Understood.  The VF is incapable of receiving VLAN traffic unless a filter has been set.  It doesn't do promiscuous mode and any path that doesn't actually end up setting a VLAN filter won't receive any VLAN traffic.

>  In particular, it is not intended to
> determine whether a tag should be stripped off or not because
> non-vconfig users don't necessarily know which vlans they care about
> (think tcpdump or trunking over a bridge).  A major goal of the
> existing vlan infrastructure is to avoid having drivers make
> assumptions about the consumer of the tag and instead just hand all
> information over to the network stack so it can behave in a consistent
> manner.  That's why I was looking for alternate ways to get this
> information without depending on active_vlans as this driver behaves
> quite a bit differently from others, include the ixgbe PF driver.

The methods by which the ixgbe driver, as a fully featured Physical Function device, are quite a bit more varied.  I believe you're thinking of the VF device as a typical Ethernet device and that is just not the case.

- Greg