Date:	Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:06:40 -0700
From:	"Rose, Gregory V" <gregory.v.rose@...el.com>
To:	Roopa Prabhu <roprabhu@...co.com>,
Subject: RE: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 0/8 RFC v2] macvlan: MAC Address filtering

[snip...]

> 	Note: The choice of rtnl_link_ops was because I saw the use case for
> 	this in virtual devices that need  to do filtering in sw like macvlan
> 	and tun. Hw devices usually have filtering in hw with netdev->uc and
> 	mc lists to indicate active filters. But I can move from rtnl_link_ops
> 	to netdev_ops if that is the preferred way to go and if there is a
> 	need to support this interface on all kinds of interfaces.
> 	Please suggest.

I'm still digesting the rest of the RFC patches but I did want to quickly jump
in and push for adding this support in netdev_ops.  I would like to see these
features available in more devices than just macvtap and macvlan.  I can conceive
of use cases for multiple HW MAC and VLAN filters for a VF device that isn't
owned by a macvlan/macvtap interface and only has netdev_ops support.  In this
case it would be necessary to program the filters directly to the VF device
interface or PF interface (or lowerdev as you refer to it) instead of going
through macvlan/macvtap.

This work dovetails nicely with some work I've been doing and I'd be very interested
in helping move this forward if we could work out the details that would allow support
of the features we (and the community) require.

- Greg Rose
LAN Access Division
Intel Corp.