Date:	Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:43:39 -0700
From:	"Rose, Gregory V" <gregory.v.rose@...el.com>
To:	Roopa Prabhu <roprabhu@...co.com>,
Subject: RE: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 0/8 RFC v2] macvlan: MAC Address filtering

That is correct, so we would need to add some way to pass the VF number to the op.
In addition, there are use cases for multiple MAC address filters for the Physical
Function (PF) so we would like to be able to identify to the netdev op that it is
supposed to perform the action on the PF filters instead of a VF.

An example of this would be when an administrator has created some number of VFs
for a given PF but is also running the PF in bridged (i.e. promiscuous) mode so that it
can support purely SW emulated network connections in some VMs that have low network
latency and bandwidth requirements while reserving the VFs for VMs that require the low latency, high throughput that directly assigned VFs can provide.  In this case an
emulated SW interface in a VM is unable to properly communicate with VFs on the same
PF because the emulated SW interface's MAC address isn't programmed into the HW filters
on the PF.  If we could use this op to program the MAC address and VLAN filters of
the emulated SW interfaces into the PF HW a VF could then properly communicate across
the NIC's internal VEB to the emulated SW interfaces.

> Yes, lets work out the details and I can move this to netdev->ops. Let me
> know.

I think essentially if you could add some parameter to the ops to specify whether it
is addressing a VF or the PF and then if it is a VF further specify the VF number we
would be very close to addressing the requirements of many valuable use cases in
addition to the ones you have identified in your RFC.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,

- Greg