Date:	Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:38:52 -0700
From:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
CC:	Daniel Baluta <daniel.baluta@...il.com>, davem@...emloft.net,
	kuznet@....inr.ac.ru, jmorris@...ei.org, yoshfuji@...ux-ipv6.org,
	kaber@...sh.net, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] tcp: Export TCP Delayed ACK parameters to user

>> On Solaris there is a global option tcp_deferred_acks_max [2],
>> which is similar with our tcp_delack_segs.
>>

> and also has tcp_deferred_ack_interval

And those have similar settings in HP-UX 11.X.

For the sake of completeness, the ACK avoidance heuristic in HP-UX, and
I presume Solaris (as they share a common "Mentat" heritage) includes a
mechanism to reduce the per-connection effective number of segments per
ACKnowledgement.  I believe this is done to handle cases where the
sender may have reduced her cwnd.  That would have deployment going back
to 1997 in the case of HP-UX 11.0, and presumably a few years before
that in the case of Solaris.  That mechanism in their ACK avoidance
heuristics may be the reason neither have gone so far as to make the
settings per-route or per-connection (though I could be wrong).  I
believe that Solaris does though have two deferred ACK limits - one for
perceived to be local connections and one (lower) for perceived to be
remote connections.

There can be "fun" interactions with senders which increase cwnd per ACK
rather than per bytes ACKed.

Still, I myself am somewhat fond of ACK avoidance heuristics.

rick jones

PS - when discussing the performance benefits of an ACK avoidance
heuristic, feel free to use netperf and service demand numbers :)