Date:	Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:29:30 -0700
From:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>
To:	Daniel Baluta <dbaluta@...acom.com>
CC:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, eric.dumazet@...il.com,
	kuznet@....inr.ac.ru, jmorris@...ei.org, yoshfuji@...ux-ipv6.org,
	kaber@...sh.net, netdev@...r.kernel.org, luto@...capital.net
Subject: Re: [RFC v2] tcp: Export TCP Delayed ACK parameters to user

On 10/31/2011 01:02 PM, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Rick Jones<rick.jones2@...com>  wrote:
>> Whether tracked as bytes or segments, my take is that to ask applications to
>> have to think about another non-portable socket option is ungood.  I would
>> suggest taking the time to work-out the automagic heuristic to drop the
>> deferred ACK count on connections where it being large is un-desirable and
>> then not need to worry about the limits being global.
>
> Your suggestion deserves further investigation, it looks tricky to
> find a good heuristic for increasing/decreasing the ACK deferred count.

Well, presumably you can observe the behaviour of some HP-UX and/or
Solaris receivers to get some ideas.

>> If I recall correctly, in one of your earlier posts you mentioned something
>> about a 20% performance boost.  What were the specific conditions of that
>> testing?  Was it over a setup where the receiver already had LRO/GRO or was
>> it over a more plain receiver NIC without that functionality?
>
> If I remember correctly on the receiver side there was no LRO/GRO, but we
> tweaked some of /proc/sys/net/ipv4 parameters (e.g tcp_rmem).
> Also, the traffic was highly unidirectional with many clients feeding multimedia
> content to a server.
>
> Anyhow, we used our custom kernel which is an older kernel version.
> Are there any recommended benchmarks/tools for testing this kind of parameters?

Well, the last time I was tilting after the ACK avoidance windmill I
used my favorite tool, netperf.  I believe I posted some HP-UX data
showing the effect of different values of tcp_deferred_ack_max.  Both on
throughput, and on CPU utilization/service demand.  Of course, I have
something of a bias in that regard :)

rick jones