Date:	Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:41:18 -0600
From:	"Cloutier, Joseph (Joseph)" <joseph.cloutier@...atel-lucent.com>
To:	"'netdev@...r.kernel.org'" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: FW: How do I get bug fix for ping in iputils?

-----Original Message-----
From: Cloutier, Joseph (Joseph)
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:45 PM
To: 'netdev@...r.kernel.org'
Subject: How do I get bug fix for ping in iputils?

netdev-  alpha645 gave me your name from linux/questions.  Here is the issue.

There is a bug with the Linux flood ping option in iputils. *I have fixed this in my private code, but I would like to see it fixed in the official Linux iputils release.

Specifically, the "-w deadline" option is supposed to keep ping running after "-c count" pings have been transmitted as a grace period for the ping-responses to return and be counted. It is not working. The transmitted "-c count" appears to be ignored and pings keep being issued after the "-c count" option is met. This defeats the purpose of "-w deadline".

How do I file a bug report and get it followed up?
I fixed this a long time ago by setting a 2-second sleep and alarm call in the ping code.  Then kept ping running without issueing more pings after "-c count".
If you are the owner, I volunteer to port the fix to the latest code, test it, and send it back to you for vetting.
Thanks, Joe Cloutier jcloutier@...atel-lucent.com
PS- flood ping is an invaluable tool for trouble shooting physical layer problems.