Date:	Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:30:46 -0800
From:	Sridhar Samudrala <sri@...ibm.com>
To:	Chris Wright <chrisw@...hat.com>
CC:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>,
	Greg Rose <gregory.v.rose@...el.com>,
	Roopa Prabhu <roprabhu@...co.com>,
	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"dragos.tatulea@...il.com" <dragos.tatulea@...il.com>,
	"kvm@...r.kernel.org" <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
	"arnd@...db.de" <arnd@...db.de>, "mst@...hat.com" <mst@...hat.com>,
	"mchan@...adcom.com" <mchan@...adcom.com>,
	"dwang2@...co.com" <dwang2@...co.com>,
	"shemminger@...tta.com" <shemminger@...tta.com>,
	"eric.dumazet@...il.com" <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
	"kaber@...sh.net" <kaber@...sh.net>,
	"benve@...co.com" <benve@...co.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 0/6 v4] macvlan: MAC Address filtering support
 for passthru mode

On 11/30/2011 3:00 PM, Chris Wright wrote:
> [...]
> Intel SR-IOV devices have a single global unicast exact match table,
> for example.
>
>> There's also PF ndo_set_vf_vlan.
> Right, although I had mentioned I was trying to limit just to MAC
> filtering to simplify.
>
>>> 4) VF ndo_set_mac_addr
>>> This one may or may not be allowed (setting MAC+port if the VF is owned
>>> by a guest is likely not allowed), but would expect an implicit VF N.
>>>
>>> 5) VF ndo_set_rx_mode
>>> Same as 4) above.
>> So this is where we are today.
> Cool, good that we agree there.
>
>>> 6) PF or VF? ndo_set_rx_filter_addr
>>> The new proposal, which has an explicit VF, although when it's VF_SELF
>>> I'm not clear if this is just the same as 5) above?
>>>
>>> Have I missed anything?
>> Any physical port can be bridged to a mixture of guests with and without
>> their own VFs.  Packets sent from a guest with a VF to the address of a
>> guest without a VF need to be forwarded to the PF rather than the
>> physical port, but none of the drivers currently get to know about those
>> addresses.
> To clarify, do you mean something like this?
>
>         physical port
> +------------+------------+
> |         +-----+         |
> |         | VEB |         |
> |         +-----+         |
> |        /   |   \        |
> |       /    |    \       |
> |      /     |     \      |
> +-----+------+------+-----+
>        |      |       |
>       PF    VF 1    VF 2
>       /       |       |
>   +---+---+  VM4  +---+---+
>   |  sw   |       |macvtap|
>   | switch|       +---+---+
>   +-+-+-+-+           |
>     / | \            VM5
>    /  |  \
> VM1 VM2 VM3
>
> This has VMs 1-3 hanging of the PF via a linux bridge (traditional hv
> switching), VM4 directly owning VF1 (pci device assignement), and VM5
> indirectly owning VF2 (macvtap passthrough, that started this whole
> thing).
>
> So, I'm understanding you saying that VM4 or VM4 sending a packet to VM1
> goes in to VEB, out PF, and into linux bridging code, rigth?  At which
> point the PF is in promiscuous mode (btw, same does not work if bridge is
> attached to VF, at least for some VFs, due to lack of promiscuous mode).
>
>> Packets sent from a guest with a VF to the address of another guest with
>> a VF need to be forwarded similarly, but the driver should be able to
>> infer that from (3).
> Right, and that works currently for the case where both guests are like
> VM4, they directly own the VF via PCI device assignement.  But for VM4
> to talk to VM5, VF3 is not in promiscuous mode and has a different MAC
> address than VM5's vNIC.  If the embedded bridge does not learn, and
> nobody programmed it to fwd frames for VM5 via VF3...
I think you are referring to VF2. There is no VF3 in your picture.
In macvtap passthru mode, VF2 will be set to the same mac address as
VM5's MAC.
So VM4 should be be able to talk to VM5.

> I believe this is what Roopa's patch will allow.  The question now is
> whether there's a better way to handle this?
My understanding is that Roopa's patch will allow setting additional mac
addresses to
VM5 without the need to put VF5 in promiscous mode.

Thanks
Sridhar