Date:	Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:55:04 +0000
From:	"Waskiewicz Jr, Peter P" <peter.p.waskiewicz.jr@...el.com>
To:	Michal Miroslaw <mirqus@...il.com>,
	"Skidmore, Donald C" <donald.c.skidmore@...el.com>
CC:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>,
	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"gospo@...hat.com" <gospo@...hat.com>,
	"sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>
Subject: RE: [net-next 8/9] ixgbe: add interface to export thermal data

This is where we run into issues though.  We can put this dependency in, but
customers don't pull upstream kernels, they rely on the OSV's to distribute
updates.  The customer doesn't want HWMON, and if their kernel doesn't ship
with HWMON support for ixgbe, then we're sunk.

The point is what we're trying to implement, based on what our customers'
requirements are, is something completely different than what HWMON is
providing.  Trying to wedge HWMON onto this framework we're trying to
provide just overcomplicates the entire thing we're trying to provide.  It's
a generic interface to generic data in our drivers, which just happens to
include thermal data on this round of patches.  If we put this under HWMON,
then we'll have multiple places for this generic data, which just
complicates the whole thing, which is what we're trying to avoid.

We did dig into the HWMON specifics on how to set it up and use it, and it's
not the right tool for what we're doing.  I don't see how changing these
patches to use HWMON improves anything, and would rather not.

Cheers,
-PJ Waskiewicz

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (5264 bytes)