Date:	Wed, 15 Feb 2012 07:25:09 +0100
From:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:	Piergiorgio Beruto <piergiorgio.beruto@...il.com>
Cc:	davem@...emloft.net, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Possible bugfix for AF_UNIX, SOCK_SEQPACKET sockets

Le mardi 14 février 2012 à 23:05 +0100, Piergiorgio Beruto a écrit :
> Hello,
> I would like to have your opinion regarding what I think could be a
> misbehaviour of the SIOCINQ ioctl on AF_UNIX domain sockets.
>
> I was implementing an IPC user-space library which makes use of a
> variety of sockets for sending data all around.
> When dealing with datagram sockets (i.e. SOCK_DGRAM, SOCK_RDM and
> SOCK_SEQPACKET) I used to implement the following paradigm:
>
> 1) issue the SIOCINQ (aka FIONREAD) ioctl and get the "size of the
> first queued datagram"
> 2) allocate memory of that size and fill it reading out data from the socket
>
> This works very fine for UDP and TIPC (including SOCK_SEQPACKET)
> sockets but when using AF_UNIX (SEQPACKET) sockets the same ioctl
> returns instead the number of bytes queued (sum of all pending
> datagrams) .
>
> In short, there is no way (as far as I know) to work out how much
> memory to allocate in userspace before reading out the datagram.
> The workaround for this is to use a fixed swap buffer of the max
> possible size of your packets (assuming you know / can retrieve it
> somehow) and make a copy of your data (which is bad for performance
> anyway).

I dont understand.... SIOCINQ returns an upper limit to you.

So your app can malloc() a big enough buffer.

Yes, SEQPACKET preserves message boundaries so your recvmsg() can fill
part of the application buffer.

> Looking at the kernel code I've found this in the
> linux/net/unix/af_unix.c file (my comment with ////)
>
> case SIOCINQ:
> 	{
> 	        struct sk_buff *skb;
>
> 	        if (sk->sk_state == TCP_LISTEN) {
> 	                err = -EINVAL;
> 	                break;
> 	        }
>
> 	        spin_lock(&sk->sk_receive_queue.lock);
> 	        if (sk->sk_type == SOCK_STREAM ||
> 	            sk->sk_type == SOCK_SEQPACKET) {           //// <--------
> treats SEQPACKET as SOCK_STREAM
> 	                skb_queue_walk(&sk->sk_receive_queue, skb)
> 	                        amount += skb->len;
> 	        } else {
> 	                skb = skb_peek(&sk->sk_receive_queue);
> 	                if (skb)
> 	                        amount = skb->len;
> 	        }
> 	        spin_unlock(&sk->sk_receive_queue.lock);
> 	        err = put_user(amount, (int __user *)arg);
> 	        break;
> 	}
>
> In my opinion SOCK_SEQPACKETS are similar to SOCK_STREAM because they
> are "connection oriented" sockets but from the I/O point of view are
> more similar to datagram ones.
>
> My proposal is to remove the above condition from the test and let the
> function process SOCK_SEQPACKETS as if they were SOCK_DGRAM for this
> particular ioctl.

This behavior is undocumented in "man unix", so it is "implementation
dependant"

This change could break some applications.