Date:	Wed, 7 Mar 2012 21:47:56 -0800
From:	<Parav.Pandit@...lex.Com>
To:	<roland@...estorage.com>, <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: [RFC 0/2] be2net: Added functionality to support RoCE driver

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Dreier [mailto:roland@...estorage.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:32 AM
To: Pandit, Parav; David Miller
Cc: netdev@...r.kernel.org; linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM,  <parav.pandit@...lex.com> wrote:
> From: Parav Pandit <parav.pandit@...lex.com>
>
> This patch is against roland's below Infiniband tree.
> http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/roland/infiniband.git
> Simiilar patch against netdev net-next tree will be made based on this patch.
>
> This patch adds functionality to support RoCE (RDMA over Ethernet) driver.
> - Detecting RoCE supported adapters and creating linked list of them.
> - Enabling 5 more MSIX vectors for RoCE functionality.
> - Calling registered callback functions of the RoCE driver
>  whenever new RoCE capable device is added/removed.
> - Notifying events to RoCE driver when interface is up or down.
> - Provides device specific details to RoCE driver for each roce device.
> - Provides low level mailbox command to be issued by RoCE driver
>  before it can have it own MQ.
>
> Parav Pandit (2):
>  be2net: Added function to issue mailbox cmd on MQ.
>  be2net: Added functionality to support RoCE driver

Great, I'm really excited to be getting another upstream driver.

I would suggest that when the actual RoCE driver is posted, we merge these 2 prerequisite patches + the driver through my tree, to avoid the hassle of a dependency between my tree and Dave's net-next tree.
[PP] There are minor differences in be2net driver in your tree and net-next tree. So if we are fine with the interface between RoCE driver and NIC driver which is already available in this patch, then you can just merge RoCE driver patch from  your tree to net-next tree. There will be separate patch against net-next tree for NIC driver which will be almost similar to this one.

 (Assuming these patches are OK with Dave and everyone else...
they look pretty reasonable to me after a quick read)

When do you expect to post the actual RoCE driver?  If that's going to be a while, another possibility is to just merge these patches through net-next for 3.4, although I'm not sure about how Dave feels about merging all this stuff without seeing what will actually use it.
[PP] I was just waiting for comments on this RFC/PATCH to submit separate patch for RoCE driver. But surely if RoCE driver patch helps review, I can send it right away. I'll prepare the patch for Roland's tree and send in few hours.

Thanks,
  Roland