Date:	Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:49:40 +0500
From:	Syed Muhammad Mohsin Kazmi <08beesmmkazmi@...cs.edu.pk>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Methods to communicate between kernel network stack and user space

Hi,
    Consider the figure below:

                                      +-----------------------------------+
                                       |                                    |
                                       |              TRILL  IS-IS<--|---------
                                       |  Quagga protocol  suite  |         |

+-----------------------------------+         |
                      user space

----------------------------------------------------------|----------------------
                      kernel space                                             |

+------------------------------------------+   |
                                      |         TCP / UDP / ICMP      |   |

           |   |

+------------------------------------------+   |
                                      |               IPv4 /IPv6
      |   |

           |   |

+------------------------------------------+  |

+-------------+  |   |
                                      |                          |
TRILL    |<-|---
                                      |           Bridging   +------------+  |

                                      |    Interface between Device    |
                                      |Driver and network stack(dev.c)|

                                      |            Device Driver            |

                                      +-----------------|
|------------------+
                                                         |     |
                                                          NIC

                       As you may know, TRILL uses IS-IS protocol to
calculate pairwise optimal paths and other control plane parameters.
Now i want to communicate between TRILL forwarding in bridging with
TRILL IS-IS in quagga protocol suite to send and receive control plane
packets. I don't know what method should i use for this kind of
communication.

Netlink sockets are appropriate for this purpose?
Or please suggest something else.

Thanks in Advance...!!