Date:	Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:51:50 +0100
From:	Hagen Paul Pfeifer <hagen@...u.net>
To:	Josh Hunt <joshhunt00@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: long-lived tcp connection question

* Josh Hunt | 2012-03-22 11:56:19 [-0500]:

>Given things like web sockets with presumably long-lived persistent
>tcp connections and a sparse amount of data, I was wondering if there
>are currently any mechanisms in the kernel or out of tree projects
>which work on reducing the overhead these connections require?
>Possibly storing their state after a certain period of inactivity and
>then reviving them when work needs to be done? I'm thinking something
>along the lines of the state info stored for time-wait sockets and
>then the ability to resurrect it on an incoming packet. Keeping
>resources around for such connections seems inefficient although
>possibly unavoidable.

Do you referring to something like this:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-fastopen/

The Linux code is not released yet, but I know that the required storage
overhead is small. Search the IETF email archive for more background
information about the topic.

Hagen