Date:	Wed, 13 Jun 2012 17:59:57 +0100
From:	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>
To:	David Laight <David.Laight@...LAB.COM>
Cc:	Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@...ck.org>,
	Nathan Williams <nathan@...verse.com.au>,
	Karl Hiramoto <karl@...amoto.org>,
	"David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>,
	John Crispin <blogic@...nwrt.org>
Subject: Re: PPPoE performance regression

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 17:32 +0100, David Laight wrote:
> > I would contend that PPPoE over br2684 is not the common case.  The vast
> > majority of users in client mode are going to be using PPPoE over an
> > ethernet link to a DSL modem (or cable or wireless radios even).  Just look
> > at what DSL modems are available for users in computer stores / what ISPs
> > actually ship to their users.  Real ATM exposing devices are rare.
>
> PPPoA is common in the UK.

In the UK you tend to have the option of using PPPoA *or* PPPoE over
BR2684. The ISP's kit will handle both.

Ben's comment was about the *hardware*, though. If your "ADSL modem" is
a separate box which just bridges Ethernet to BR2684 on the ADSL link,
you're limited to using the PPPoE protocol over that.

Obviously, if you have a proper ADSL *router* and it's not just a PPP
bridge, then you can — and should — use PPPoA.

--
dwmw2

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" (6171 bytes)