Date:	Sat, 30 Jun 2012 22:32:39 -0700
From:	Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	ben@...adent.org.uk, bruce.w.allan@...el.com,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, gospo@...hat.com, sassmann@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [net-next] e1000e: remove use of IP payload checksum

On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 17:37 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Ben Hutchings <ben@...adent.org.uk>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 22:36:36 +0100
>
> > On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 03:35 -0700, Jeff Kirsher wrote:
> >> From: Bruce Allan <bruce.w.allan@...el.com>
> >>
> >> Currently only used when packet split mode is enabled with jumbo frames,
> >> IP payload checksum (for fragmented UDP packets) is mutually exclusive with
> >> receive hashing offload since the hardware uses the same space in the
> >> receive descriptor for the hardware-provided packet checksum and the RSS
> >> hash, respectively.  Users currently must disable jumbos when receive
> >> hashing offload is enabled, or vice versa, because of this incompatibility.
> >> Since testing has shown that IP payload checksum does not provide any real
> >> benefit, just remove it so that there is no longer a choice between jumbos
> >> or receive hashing offload but not both as done in other Intel GbE drivers
> >> (e.g. e1000, igb).
> >>
> >> Also, add a missing check for IP checksum error reported by the hardware;
> >> let the stack verify the checksum when this happens.
> > [...]
> >
> > The change to enable RX hashing in 3.4, with this odd restriction seems
> > to have broken most existing systems using jumbo MTU on e1000e.  None of
> > the distro scripts or network management daemons will automatically
> > change offload configuration before MTU; how could they know?
> >
> > Therefore this needs to be fixed in 3.5 and 3.4.y, not net-next.
>
> Agreed.

Ok, I will prepare it for net and stable 3.4.  I know it will require a
backported patch for stable 3.4.y since the current patch only applied
to net & net-next.

Bruce was wanting to have it applied to net & stable, and I was not sure
based on the patch content and description, so I that is why I submitted
it for net-next.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)