Date:	Fri, 16 Nov 2012 03:23:40 +0100
From:	Aurélien <footplus@...il.com>
To:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com
Subject: Re: Optics (SFP) monitoring on ixgbe and igbe

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Ben Hutchings
<bhutchings@...arflare.com> wrote:

> Yes, Jeff's the one you should be talking to about these drivers.  I
> just look after the ethtool utility and API.

Ok, so I will discuss the ixgbe patch with Jeff :)

Ben, on the ethtool side, attached is a patch to enable the following
option and output; It's still missing externally calibrated optics
support (my current one is internally calibrated, so that's difficult
to test anything). What do you think ? Is there any other data that
could be interesting to show with -O or -m options ?

I based the text output on Juniper's, which is quite parsable by other
apps, but if someone sees a more appropriate output mode, let me know.

# ./ethtool -h
        ethtool -O|--module-optics DEVNAME	Show module optical diagnostics

# ./ethtool -O eth6
Physical interface: eth6
    Laser bias current                        :  27.378 mA
    Laser output power                        :  0.6980 mW / -1.56 dBm
    Receiver signal average optical power     :  1.0817 mW / 0.34 dBm
    Module temperature                        :  53 degrees C / 128 degrees F
    Module voltage                            :  3.2657 V
    Laser bias current high alarm             :  Off
    Laser bias current low alarm              :  Off
    Laser bias current high warning           :  Off
    Laser bias current low warning            :  Off
    Laser output power high alarm             :  Off
    Laser output power low alarm              :  Off
    Laser output power high warning           :  Off
    Laser output power low warning            :  Off
    Module temperature high alarm             :  Off
    Module temperature low alarm              :  Off
    Module temperature high warning           :  Off
    Module temperature low warning            :  Off
    Module voltage high alarm                 :  Off
    Module voltage low alarm                  :  Off
    Module voltage high warning               :  Off
    Module voltage low warning                :  Off
    Laser rx power high alarm                 :  Off
    Laser rx power low alarm                  :  Off
    Laser rx power high warning               :  Off
    Laser rx power low warning                :  Off
    Laser bias current high alarm threshold   :  100.000 mA
    Laser bias current low alarm threshold    :  2.000 mA
    Laser bias current high warning threshold :  80.000 mA
    Laser bias current low warning threshold  :  4.000 mA
    Laser output power high alarm threshold   :  2.2440 mW / 3.51 dBm
    Laser output power low alarm threshold    :  0.0792 mW / -11.01 dBm
    Laser output power high warning threshold :  1.6830 mW / 2.26 dBm
    Laser output power low warning threshold  :  0.1188 mW / -9.25 dBm
    Module temperature high alarm threshold   :  125 degrees C / 257 degrees F
    Module temperature low alarm threshold    :  -45 degrees C / -49 degrees F
    Module temperature high warning threshold :  115 degrees C / 239 degrees F
    Module temperature low warning threshold  :  -40 degrees C / -40 degrees F
    Module voltage high alarm threshold       :  3.9000 V
    Module voltage low alarm threshold        :  2.7000 V
    Module voltage high warning threshold     :  3.7000 V
    Module voltage low warning threshold      :  2.9000 V
    Laser rx power high alarm threshold       :  2.0000 mW / 3.01 dBm
    Laser rx power low alarm threshold        :  0.0158 mW / -18.01 dBm
    Laser rx power high warning threshold     :  1.5000 mW / 1.76 dBm
    Laser rx power low warning threshold      :  0.0237 mW / -16.25 dBm

Best regards,
--
Aurélien Guillaume

Download attachment "0001-Implemented-basic-optics-diagnostics-for-SFF-8472-co.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (13855 bytes)