Date:	Wed, 5 Dec 2012 10:46:11 +0200
From:	Rami Rosen <roszenrami@...il.com>
To:	Christopher Schramm <netdev@...kaweb.org>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ip_rt_min_pmtu

Hi,
Just a short note:
RFC 791 indeed set 68 for internet module MTU.

But RFC 791 also declares 576 as PMTU:
"All hosts must be prepared to accept datagrams of up to 576 octets".
and it says also:
"The number 576 is selected to allow a reasonable sized data block to
be transmitted in addition to the required header information."

It seems that there is a distinction between a module sending MTU and
hosts receiving MTU.

Regarding the historical details of why it was sent at that time  -
I don't have an idea.

Regards,
Rami Rosen
http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen