Date:	Sat, 08 Dec 2012 10:44:18 -0800
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	Oleg Arkhangelsky <sysoleg@...dex.ru>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux IP forwarding performance benchmarks

On 12/08/2012 04:01 AM, Oleg Arkhangelsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have some Linux IP forwarding performance
> benchmarks on Nehalem Xeon platform versus Sandy
> Bridge Xeon E5? Intel DDIO looks pretty tasty and should
> give significant  performance boost (at least in theory)
> but currently we doesn't have this hardware at hand to
> test so asking here.

Well, I don't have forwarding numbers, but using a modified pktgen,
we can send and receive about 800,000 packets per second on each of
4 10G NICs in our E5 test system.

Our modified pktgen is probably slower than the upstream, as it has
a bunch of rx logic in it as well...

And, for our network emulator module (like a bridge, mostly), we can
get 7-9.8Gbps bi-directional throughput, depending on some issues
due to IRQ pinning and the spread among the rx-queues, it seems.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>