Date:	Mon, 17 Dec 2012 14:28:57 +0100 (CET)
From:	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...i.de>
To:	Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>
cc:	Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@...filter.org>,
	Yury Stankevich <urykhy@...il.com>, shemonc@...il.com,
	netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: tc ipt action

On Monday 2012-12-17 13:58, Jamal Hadi Salim wrote:
> On 12-12-16 04:21 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>
>> If you have a preexisting clone of any linux tree, you can utilize
>> `git remote add ...` to only grab the deltas.
>
>It downloaded eventually. So looking at this quickly, basic
>question: is xtables2 different API wise from what we do today in
>act_ipt?

AFAICS, (one instance of) act_ipt today directly invokes (exactly one
instance of) a target. With act_xt2 as drafted, it instead invokes a
chain, which would

1. leave the construction of the target data and calling it
   to the subsystems they conceptually belong to - the packet filter
2. lets you do matches, jumps and all that.

>Second: Are chain names unique system wide?

Good thing you ask. Chain names are unique within a netns, and this
act_xtables.c draft looks at the packet to get to know its netns, so
that seems fine.

However, your question also leads to looking at whether TC Actions
themselves are sufficiently netns-ified, and it seems this is _not_
the case. Am I right in the observation that variables like
"tcf_ipt_ht" are in fact global rather tha per-netns?