Date:	Fri, 15 Mar 2013 05:30:50 +0000 (UTC)
From:	Trent Piepho <tpiepho@...il.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] arm: mxs: sanitize enet_out clock handling

Wolfram Sang <w.sang <at> pengutronix.de> writes:
> Handling enet_out on MX28 is cumbersome at the moment. Most boards need it
> enabled and for that, they have to add code to mach-mxs.c (see sps1 as an
> example). Since this is board specific, we better encode it in the devicetree,
> that is the reason it was made for.
>
> My proposal will overwrite the generic "clock" and "clock-names" properties
> from imx28.dtsi in the board file. The original one has 2 entries, and boards
> needing enet_out will overload it with three entries. The network driver will
> enable the clock if it was specified. The old code enabling the clock will be
> backward compatible but print a WARN if the legacy mode needs to be used.

I was annoyed by this problem when adding a new imx28 board.  Ethernet stopped
working as soon as I changed the board id in the dts from imx28evk to a new one.
Looks like a good solution, but one suggestion.  Since as you say most boards
need enet_out would it be better to specify enet_out in the dtsi file and then
override it in the dts file of the boards that do not have it?