Date:	Fri, 03 May 2013 15:07:42 -0400
From:	Peter Hurley <peter@...leysoftware.com>
To:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>
CC:	Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: netconsole fun

On 04/29/2013 02:21 PM, Neil Horman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 01:28:45PM -0400, Peter Hurley wrote:

>>> Theres no good way for the kernel to do that, as persistent naming in this case
>>> is a matter of user policy, not kernel hardware management (i.e. do you want a
>>> network name to follow a mac address, a pci slot, or the network its connected
>>> to)?  You can use smbios to get some modicum of persistent device naming
>>> currently, but I don't recall if that requires udev rules to implement as well
>>>
>>> You're best bet is to simply make your initramfs more robust.  I understand what
>>> you're saying regarding renaming after you've taken a reference on a device not
>>> being possible, but you can run udev within the initramfs, and do your renaming
>>> prior to your netconsole load.
>>
>> Hi Neil,
>>
>> I plan to re-submit 'netconsole: allow mac addr to specify local
>> interface device' which you originally objected to because you asserted
>> that the same effect could be obtained through udev scripts in the
>> initramfs.
>>
>> When you shot down this patch, did you actually try what you suggested
>> in the initramfs or were you just hypothesizing that it would possible?
>>
> I've not tried specifically what want to do, no, but I've done interface
> renaming plenty of times in the initramfs back when I did kdump work (we had to
> rename devices in the initramfs to align them with whatever udev renamed them to
> once we pivot_root-ed to the rootfs).
>
> I presume you're sending me this note because you've for some reason decided
> that doing this in the initramfs isn't feasible?  I'm happy to help you through
> it if you like.

Neil,

I owe you an apology.

Performing the udev device renaming and modprobing netconsole
with the renamed device interface is indeed possible within initramfs.
Once I had managed to get udev device renaming working in the initramfs,
I had confused myself regarding which interface went with which MAC address.

Have a good weekend.

Regards,
Peter Hurley