Date:	Fri, 7 Jun 2013 18:21:18 +0100
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	John Fastabend <john.r.fastabend@...el.com>,
	Narendra K <narendra_k@...l.com>
CC:	<stephen@...workplumber.org>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Generic interface to make physical port number used by a
 netdevice available to user space

On Fri, 2013-06-07 at 07:59 -0700, John Fastabend wrote:
> [...]

Having looked at the qeth driver now, I think the comment in netdevice.h
should be changed to state that this is for distinguishing devices that
share a link-layer address, and the drivers using it for other purposes
should stop doing so (if that doesn't break userland).

[...]
> > 3. Add a new field 'physport' to 'struct net_device' and export it to sysfs.
>
> Probably not we already have two fields that seem ill-defined no reason
> to add another to the confusion. If you absolutely can't make dev_id or
> if_port coherent then maybe but I really think one of the above two will
> work.

I think we should tighten up documentation and implementation of the
existing fields, but there is still a need for this new one.

One thing that needs to be clearly specified is the scope of the
physport identifier - the controller, board, physical machine, ... or
universe.  In a VM, controller and board scope are pretty useless as it
typically can't tell which devices belong to the same controller or
board anyway.  A universally unique identifier is probably not too hard
to implement as there is likely to be at least one MAC address
permanently assigned to each physical port.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.