Date:	Fri, 28 Jun 2013 14:26:58 +0800
From:	Asias He <asias@...hat.com>
To:	Sasha Levin <sasha.levin@...cle.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, kvm@...r.kernel.org,
	virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	Andy King <acking@...are.com>,
	Dmitry Torokhov <dtor@...are.com>,
	Reilly Grant <grantr@...are.com>,
	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>,
	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>,
	Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>,
	Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@...il.com>,
	Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@...hat.com>,
	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/5] Introduce VM Sockets virtio transport

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 03:03:01PM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
> Hi Asias,
>
> Looks nice! Some comments inline below (I've removed anything that mst already
> commented on).

Thanks.

> On 06/27/2013 03:59 AM, Asias He wrote:
> >Hello guys,
> >
> >In commit d021c344051af91 (VSOCK: Introduce VM Sockets), VMware added VM
> >Sockets support. VM Sockets allows communication between virtual
> >machines and the hypervisor. VM Sockets is able to use different
> >hyervisor neutral transport to transfer data. Currently, only VMware
> >VMCI transport is supported.
> >
> >This series introduces virtio transport for VM Sockets.
> >
> >Any comments are appreciated! Thanks!
> >
> >Code:
> >=========================
> >1) kernel bits
> >    git://github.com/asias/linux.git vsock
> >
> >2) userspace bits:
> >    git://github.com/asias/linux-kvm.git vsock
> >
> >Howto:
> >=========================
> >Make sure you have these kernel options:
> >
> >   CONFIG_VSOCKETS=y
> >   CONFIG_VIRTIO_VSOCKETS=y
> >   CONFIG_VIRTIO_VSOCKETS_COMMON=y
> >   CONFIG_VHOST_VSOCK=m
> >
> >$ git clone git://github.com/asias/linux-kvm.git
> >$ cd linux-kvm/tools/kvm
> >$ co -b vsock origin/vsock
> >$ make
> >$ modprobe vhost_vsock
> >$ ./lkvm run -d os.img -k bzImage --vsock guest_cid
> >
> >Test:
> >=========================
> >I hacked busybox's http server and wget to run over vsock. Start http
> >server in host and guest, download a 512MB file in guest and host
> >simultaneously for 6000 times. Manged to run the http stress test.
> >
> >Also, I wrote a small libvsock.so to play the LD_PRELOAD trick and
> >managed to make sshd and ssh work over virito-vsock without modifying
> >the source code.
>
> Why did it require hacking in the first place? Does running with kvmtool
> and just doing regular networking over virtio-net running on top of vsock
> achieves the same goal?

VM Sockets introduces a new address family. We need to modify the source
code of the application to use the new address family.

Using vsock there is no need to use virtio-net at all. We can not run
virtio-net on top of vsock.

> >Draft VM Sockets Virtio Device spec:
> >=========================
> >Appendix K: VM Sockets Device
> >
> >The virtio VM sockets device is a virtio transport device for VM Sockets. VM
> >Sockets allows communication between virtual machines and the hypervisor.
> >
> >Configuration:
> >
> >Subsystem Device ID 13
> >
> >Virtqueues:
> >     0:controlq; 1:receiveq0; 2:transmitq0 ... 2N+1:receivqN; 2N+2:transmitqN
>
> controlq is "defined but not used", is there something in mind for it? if not,
> does it make sense keeping it here? we can always re-add it to the end just
> like in virtio-net.

In virtio-net, each queue pairs contains a controlq, I think it is not
necessary for virtio-vsock. e.g.

receiveq0 transmitq0 controlq0

In virtio-scsi, we have ctrlq evetq and N requestq. I want the similar
layout here, to reserve a ctrl queue in the front.

> >Feature bits:
> >     Currently, no feature bits are defined.
> >
> >Device configuration layout:
> >
> >Two configuration fields are currently defined.
> >
> >    struct virtio_vsock_config {
> >            __u32 guest_cid;
> >            __u32 max_virtqueue_pairs;
> >    } __packed;
> >
> >The guest_cid field specifies the guest context id which likes the guest IP
> >address. The max_virtqueue_pairs field specifies the maximum number of receive
> >and transmit virtqueue pairs (receiveq0 ...  receiveqN and transmitq0 ...
> >transmitqN respectively; N = max_virtqueue_pairs - 1 ) that can be configured.
> >The driver is free to use only one virtqueue pairs, or it can use more to
> >achieve better performance.
>
> How does the driver tell the device how many vqs it's planning on actually using?
> or is it assumed that all of them are in use?

I want the driver to use all of them.

> >Device Initialization:
> >The initialization routine should discover the device's virtqueues.
> >
> >Device Operation:
> >Packets are transmitted by placing them in the transmitq0..transmitqN, and
> >buffers for incoming packets are placed in the receiveq0..receiveqN. In each
> >case, the packet itself is preceded by a header:
> >
> >    struct virtio_vsock_hdr {
> >            __u32   src_cid;
> >            __u32   src_port;
> >            __u32   dst_cid;
> >            __u32   dst_port;
> >            __u32   len;
> >            __u8    type;
> >            __u8    op;
> >            __u8    shut;
> >            __u64   fwd_cnt;
> >            __u64   buf_alloc;
> >    } __packed;
> >
> >src_cid and dst_cid: specify the source and destination context id.
> >src_port and dst_port: specify the source and destination port.
> >len: specifies the size of the data payload, it could be zero if no data
> >payload is transferred.
> >type: specifies the type of the packet, it can be SOCK_STREAM or SOCK_DGRAM.
> >op: specifies the operation of the packet, it is defined as follows.
> >
> >    enum {
> >            VIRTIO_VSOCK_OP_INVALID = 0,
> >            VIRTIO_VSOCK_OP_REQUEST = 1,
> >            VIRTIO_VSOCK_OP_NEGOTIATE = 2,
> >            VIRTIO_VSOCK_OP_OFFER = 3,
> >            VIRTIO_VSOCK_OP_ATTACH = 4,
> >            VIRTIO_VSOCK_OP_RW = 5,
> >            VIRTIO_VSOCK_OP_CREDIT = 6,
> >            VIRTIO_VSOCK_OP_RST = 7,
> >            VIRTIO_VSOCK_OP_SHUTDOWN = 8,
> >    };
> >
> >shut: specifies the shutdown mode when the socket is being shutdown. 1 is for
> >receive shutdown, 2 is for transmit shutdown, 3 is for both receive and transmit
> >shutdown.
> >fwd_cnt: specifies the the number of bytes the receiver has forwarded to userspace.
>
> For the previous packet? For the entire session? Reading ahead makes it clear but
> it's worth mentioning here the context just to make it easy for implementers.

Thanks. I will make this more clearer.

--
Asias