Date:	Wed, 03 Jul 2013 09:13:43 +0200
From:	Bjørn Mork <bjorn@...k.no>
To:	Enrico Mioso <mrkiko.rs@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Huaei E3131 - connected!

Enrico Mioso <mrkiko.rs@...il.com> writes:

> Hi guys!
> there's a problem ... I don't understand why even looking at the code (sure, I
> will look at it again): but, bringing up the wwan0 interface simply works. So
> now I'm sending this mail via the device's wwan interface and while looking and
> typing to the wdm character device, without any apparent problem.
> I did not implement the status handler, but the driver seems to be able to
> work, probably missing some notifications?
> This needs to be EXTRENSIVELY polished and reviewed - but it's encouraging!

Great work!

The NCM notifications should be handled, but I don't think it is crucial
to have that in place for the initial version of the driver. Adding that
support means changing the cdc-wdm API, which need some careful planning
and time because cdc-wdm is in another subsystem (usb vs net).

Since this driver is not dealing with NCM conformant devices, but only
implementing a NCM like vendor specific protocol, I believe it is
acceptable to handle the notifcations as "phase 2" of the driver.

In my opinion, all you need to do before submitting is fixup the device
list, moving the Huawei vendor specific entries from cdc_ncm to this
driver.  You might as well do that as part of introducing the driver.
Or make it a separate final patch if you prefer.

Bjørn