Date:	Tue, 24 Sep 2013 17:51:28 +0100
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	Gary Thomas <gary@...assoc.com>
CC:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: SMSC 9303 support

On Tue, 2013-09-24 at 06:21 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I need to support the SMSC9303 in an embedded system.  I'm not
> finding any [explicit] support for this device in the latest
> mainline kernel.  Did I miss something?
>
> To be clear, the SMSC9303 is a 3-port managed ethernet switch
> capable of supporting 802.1D/802.1Q directly. This switch is
> driven by a single MAC via MII/RMII and exposes the other two
> ports via physical PHYs.  What I need it to do is behave like
> two external, separate devices.  I was thinking that what I need
> to do is treat these as VLAN devices since the switch can manage
> the routing.
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

Linux has 'DSA' (Distributed Switch Architecture) which supports tagging
of packets to indicate which switch port they are sent or received
through.  This was originally added to support some Marvell switch chips
and I don't know whether it would be suitable or extensible for this
one.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.