Date:	Tue, 1 Oct 2013 17:26:56 -0500
From:	Shawn Bohrer <sbohrer@...advisors.com>
To:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>
Cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>, tomk@...advisors.com,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [net-next 2/3] udp: Add udp early demux

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 01:12:18PM -0700, Rick Jones wrote:
> On 10/01/2013 12:33 PM, Shawn Bohrer wrote:
> >The removal of the routing cache introduced a performance regression for
> >some UDP workloads since a dst lookup must be done for each packet.
> >This change caches the dst per socket in a similar manner to what we do
> >for TCP by implementing early_demux.
> >
> >For UDP multicast we can only cache the dst if there is only one
> >receiving socket on the host.  Since caching only works when there is
> >one receiving socket we do the multicast socket lookup using RCU.
> >
> >Benchmark results from a netperf UDP_RR test:
> >Before 90596.44 transactions/s
> >After  91296.97 transactions/s
>
> Were those measured with confidence intervals enabled?  It would be
> a Good Idea (tm) to either use that - I would suggest -I 99,1 -i
> 30,3 added to the global portion of the netperf command line - or
> take several runs.  (If you've not already done so since those look
> more like "raw" netperf numbers rather than theaverage of several
> runs)

Those are the averages from six one minute UDP_RR tests.  If I
re-rerun the netperf numbers I'll use the confidence intervals I did
not know about that feature.  In general I just added these quick
numbers as a point of reference and to double check that some open
source benchmarks could even see a difference.  For me the real
benchmark is my workload which does show a much more significant
difference with these changes.

--
Shawn