Date:	Fri, 4 Oct 2013 10:15:54 +0100
From:	jason.morgan@...illant.com
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: tx checksum offload in rtl8168evl disabled in driver

Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS + Kernel 3.8.13-8 64bit

I've patched the driver to allow tx checksum offload for this chip and=20
found the following:

MTU 9000 standard driver:
517Mbps with 2k + header frames

MTU 9000 patched driver:
770Mbps with 2k + header frames

100% transfer without error (1e6 frames)

48% increase in performance combined with a massive decrease in CPU =
effort=20
is not to be sniffed at.

IMO tx offload should be more prevalent as the frames grow, to reduce
CPU=20
load.

OK, so make the default OFF if there is a silicon error (that spans=20
mulitple chips?) , but why prevent it being turned on in the driver? -=20
even if there is a kernel message that this might cause problems.