Date:	Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:04:00 +0530
From:	Rayagond K <rayagond@...avyalabs.com>
To:	Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, afleming@...escale.com
Subject: Re: XGMII patch

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com> wrote:
> Adding Andy in CC who is the original author
>
> Le 8 oct. 2013 07:19, "Rayagond K" <rayagond@...avyalabs.com> a écrit :
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I came across some old patch series to support XGMII in PHYLIB -
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/463344/
>>
>> These patch are not available in mainline kernel still and also PHYLIB
>> doesn't support XGMII also.
>
> This patch set does much more than adding XGMII support, it also adds a
> generic 10G driver, is that what you need or can you live with just
> extending phy_interface_t to know about XGMII and write your own PHY driver?

I need both ie generic 10G driver and extending phy_interface_t to
know about XGMII.

Currently PAL takes care of PHY driver and handles everything related
to PHY device, MAC driver has just registers to PAL and give some
callback function like read_phy, write_phy and adjust_link etc. But
PAL doesn't support XGMII yet, so this patch does that right ?

>> Any plan for applying these patch to mainline kernel.
>
> There were some comments on the patchset and there does not seem to have
> been a follow up.

Since this patch adds generic 10G driver and extends PAL to support
XGMII, its worth to follow up comments and add this patch to mainline
kernel asap.