Date:	Wed, 23 Oct 2013 22:37:00 -0400
From:	Neal Cardwell <ncardwell@...gle.com>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>
Cc:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Dave Täht <dave.taht@...ferbloat.net>,
	Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: 16% regression on 10G caused by TCP small queues

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM, Stephen Hemminger
<stephen@...workplumber.org> wrote:
> In the course of testing routing functionality, I discovered a that the single flow TCP
> throughput was much worse than expected. At first, it looked like a router problem,
> or maybe because one end was a FreeBSD system (which has noticeably slower TCP performance).
> But reducing it down to two systems directly connected over 10G (ixgbe) found the problem.
>   4. Do something smarter like a dynamic TCP small queue that adapts.

Yep, Eric made TSQ dynamic a few weeks ago, and mentioned that his
commit helps a single flow on 10Gbps link:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=c9eeec26e32e087359160406f96e0949b3cc6f10

Can you please check the performance in your setup on 3.12-rc4 or newer? :-)

Thanks!

neal

---

commit c9eeec26e32e087359160406f96e0949b3cc6f10