Date:	Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:27:16 +0000
From:	Zoltan Kiss <zoltan.kiss@...rix.com>
To:	Paul Durrant <Paul.Durrant@...rix.com>,
	"xen-devel@...ts.xenproject.org" <xen-devel@...ts.xenproject.org>,
	Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@...rix.com>,
	Wei Liu <wei.liu2@...rix.com>,
	Malcolm Crossley <malcolm.crossley@...rix.com>,
	David Vrabel <david.vrabel@...rix.com>
CC:	Jonathan Davies <Jonathan.Davies@...rix.com>,
	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Subject: Timout packets in device's TX queue

Discussing this further with Paul, we came to the conclusion that
probably the best solution would be to drop these packets in qdisc.
Netback RX path stop accepting new packets if the target guest doesn't
have enough room in the ring. Also (AFAIK) NIC drivers do the same if
they don't have more resource for TX, and this is all good for us. Our
problem is that the queue in qdisc layer (sorry if my terminology not
clear!) can still accumulate these packets indefinitely. The drastic
measure would be to reduce txqueuelen to 0 during setup for every
affected device, but that's not really nice.
Instead, we should be able to configure qdisc to timeout packets on
those queues, at least the SKBs where (skb_shinfo(skb)->tx_flags &
SKBTX_DEV_ZEROCOPY). I'm not that familiar with it to know if that's
already possible, or if not, then how good idea would it be to implement it.
I've changed the subject and included netdev and Eric, maybe someone can
shed some more light on this question.

Regards,

Zoli