Date:	Sat, 07 Dec 2013 11:36:25 -0800
From:	Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>
To:	Sergei Shtylyov <sergei.shtylyov@...entembedded.com>
Cc:	davem@...emloft.net,
	Anjali Singhai Jain <anjali.singhai@...el.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, gospo@...hat.com, sassmann@...hat.com,
	Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next 09/14] i40e: Enable all PCTYPEs except FCOE for RSS.

On Sat, 2013-12-07 at 23:12 +0300, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:

> >>      This line has no place in the upstream patches, and I'm seeing
> it
> >> in
> >> several patches of this series.
>
> > This is an internal hash id, so that we can track upstream changes
> back
> > to internal git tree changes.  I did verify that this was acceptable
> and
> > is being used in the kernel in upstream patches before pushing this
> > information.
>
>     First time I hear about that. Its use is constantly denied in
> linux-usb at
> least. Maybe netdev has its own rules regarding this though...

Take a look at `git log --format=oneline --grep="Change-Id"`
You will see there are instances in arch as well as in wireless and in
other areas as well.  So we are not doing something new or the only ones
using this tag.

Google appears to be using it as well based the following information:
https://gerrit-documentation.storage.googleapis.com/Documentation/2.7/user-changeid.html
Places using gerrit:
http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/wiki/ShowCases
This is the largest example of a "Change-Id:" tag that I know of.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)