Date:	Tue, 11 Feb 2014 15:15:54 -0500
From:	Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>
To:	vyasevic@...hat.com,
CC:	Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
	Scott Feldman <sfeldma@...ulusnetworks.com>,
	John Fastabend <john.r.fastabend@...el.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: bridge get fdb by bridge device

On 02/11/14 13:21, Vlad Yasevich wrote:
> On 02/11/2014 12:07 PM, Jamal Hadi Salim wrote:
>> On 02/10/14 11:31, Vlad Yasevich wrote:

> No, this was more the point that the current iproute code sends an
> ifinfomsg struct down, and you change that to send ndmsg struct.
> This is risky, but we luck out since the index is at the same offset
> in both structs.

ah, ok, thanks for catching that. I should have said something - the
original code was wrong and i felt it was safe to make the change
given that the kernel code never even looked at what was being
sent to it. There is asymetry desires which are violated.
It doesnt make sense to send and ifm and expect back an ndm.
I should send that separately as a bug fix.

> But that would only happen if the user said:
>    # bridge fdb show br eth0
>
> If eth0 in this case is a hw bridge device, getting the device's
> version of fdb data is exactly what would be expected, isn't it?

Well, if it is a "bridge device" why would it not be tagged as a bridge
device?

> If you mean a 'software bridge' above, then that's not an issue
> since that's a disallowed config.  You can't stack software bridges
> without something in the middle like bond or vlan.

Ok, didnt realize that.
So i cant add a bridge as a bridge port to another bridge?

> Yes, macvlan can forward data to other macvlans, but that's
> not the interesting thing.

Sample config?

> When you configure multiple macvlan devices on top of the
> same hw device, one could think of the hw device as a sort
> of a bridge.  It's not really, but you could define it in
> those terms.  The fdb entries, in this case, contain the mac
> addresses of the macvlan devices.

It certainly has some equivalent semantics (looks at dst MAC then
picks the port). Possible to add Vlans as well?
Why dont we tag such a thing as a bridge then?

> Sorry, I wasn't very clear. What I meant was that you now support
>    # bridge fdb show port <>
>
> The usage message should reflect it.

Sorry - I noticed the word "port" at exactly where your quote came.
So i thought you noticed that "port" was already taken - it is used
for VXLAN fdb entries (for udp ports).

cheers,
jamal