Date:	Thu, 27 Mar 2014 08:35:41 -0700
From:	Roopa Prabhu <roopa@...ulusnetworks.com>
To:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC 0/4] introduce infrastructure for support
 of switch chip datapath

On 3/26/14, 2:31 PM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:27:05PM CET, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com wrote:

>>> So when you configure for example bonding over 2 ports, you actually use
>>> bonding driver to do that. And you userspace app listens to
>>> notifications and programs the switch chip accordingly. Am I close?
>> yes correct.
>>> How about data? Is this new "bonding" interface able to assign ip to is
>>> and send/receive packets.
>> yes
>>> I'm still not sure I understand your concept. Do you have some
>>> documentation for it available?
>>>
>> I think the only documentation available today in this area is the
>> user guide and that in-turn points to native linux command manpages
>> iproute2, sysfs, debian ifupdown etc.
>> I will see if i can find anything else.
> I ment the architecture design documentation. linux manpages are not
> that interesting to me :)

yes, i get that and thats why i did not include a pointer to our user
guide. :).
Sorry, the easiest thing to find right now was a high level marketing
diagram and here you go:
http://cumulusnetworks.com/product/architecture/. This is nothing but
what i mentioned in my emails.
 From here the details involve nothing but programming the broadcom
asic. This is mostly broadcom details/documentation.

The above is our current working/shipping model.

In our second phase of implementation, We wanted to preserve the above
user interface model (which people using our boxes are very fond of),
but introduce the concept of a switchdev and switchports in the kernel.
We had a switchdev api in the works ourselves which we were planning to
publish on netdev until you beat us to it.
Our version is similar to yours but it reflects some of the points that
i have brought up in my previous emails.
It probably looks more like your v2 (patch 4/6) without the master/slave
link.
We can share some code in the comming weeks. It does need some cleanup
and i am also waiting for scott feldman who is on vacation this week.

I know you are looking for specifics, but we don't have switchdev code
to create a bond in switch chip asic yet. But we have been thinking
about the details and the current thought there at a high level was, we
would add a netdev op which the bonding driver could redirect to the
switchdev driver when it has slaves with IFF_SWITCH_PORT set.

Thanks,
Roopa