Date:	Thu, 01 May 2014 13:09:05 +0200
From:	Daniel Borkmann <dborkman@...hat.com>
To:	Joseph Gasparakis <joseph.gasparakis@...el.com>
CC:	Vlad Yasevich <vyasevich@...il.com>,
	"Rose, Gregory V" <gregory.v.rose@...el.com>,
	Ben Hutchings <ben@...adent.org.uk>,
	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"gospo@...hat.com" <gospo@...hat.com>,
	"sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next] vxlan: Advertise SCTP checksum offloads

On 04/29/2014 10:59 PM, Joseph Gasparakis wrote:

>>> Interesting, thanks for the clarification! Then how do things work with
>>> non-encapsulated SCTP traffic? Where is the csumming for SCTP take place
>>> if the NIC cannot offload the protocol?
>>
>> In SCTP itself.  Look at sctp_packet_transmit().   There are also
>> fix-ups in netfilter to correct the checksum if the packet has
>> to be rerouted somewhere else.
>>
>> We've tossed around the idea of making skb_checksum have pluggable
>> components.  Daniel started us down that path by adding checksum ops.
>> We just need registration and proper lookup support.

Absolutely, Vlad is right here. That's also why we currently have this
ugly xfrm test in SCTP output path for csumming. I've started something
a while ago in that direction but got distracted with other things. If
someone is faster than me, I appreciate it. ;) In case not, I've kept
it on my todo list so far. Anyway, that would be the right way to go.