Date:	Mon, 9 Jun 2014 20:27:43 +0000
From:	David Hendel <david@...icom.co.il>
To:	"netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: ethtool patch to support bypass / fail-to-wire function

Hello netdev,

My name is David Hendel, I am Silicom V.P of R&D and was working with Anna Lukin our senior software developer to incorporate our bypass / Fail-to-Wire functionality into ethtool.

We have been working with our partner Citrix in doing that and they think that it will be very valuable if this will be added to the kernel distribution ethtool We have our bypass driver already in the kernel  - /drivers/staging/silicom/ bpctl_mode ...
Per Ben Hutchings we need to work with networking community, not sure if this is indeed the one to approach, As it seems like our bypass drivers are related to you I am approaching you on that, If you need more info on what is bypass/fail-to-wire you can look at our web site - http://silicom-usa.com/10_Gigabit_Ethernet_Bypass_Networking_Server_Adapters

Or look at one of our bypass product spec:
http://silicom-usa.com/upload/Downloads/Product_95.pdf

if you need more info I can provide it as well.

Attached is the patch we have done for ethtool 3.14, Let me know if anything else is needed. This is the first time I am submitting something so I may not do it as preferred, so forgive me on that and guide me if needed.

Regards, David

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Hutchings [mailto:ben@...adent.org.uk]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 5:07 PM
To: David Hendel
Cc: Anna Lukin

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 13:51 +0000, David Hendel wrote:
> Hello ben,
>
> I am Silicom V.P of R&D and was working with Anna Lukin our senior
> software developer to incorporate our bypass / Fail-to-Wire
> functionality into ethtool.
>

> We have been working with our partner Citrix in doing that and they
> think that it will be very valuable if this will be added to the
> kernel distribution ethtool and this is the reason I am approaching
> you on that,

I will not accept patches to use driver-specific APIs.  You should work with the kernel networking community to get this feature added to the ethtool API.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
One of the nice things about standards is that there are so many of them.

Download attachment "ethtool-3.14.silbp3.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (133976 bytes)