Date:	Tue, 10 Jun 2014 13:49:35 -0400
From:	Milos Vyletel <milos.vyletel@...il.com>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>
Cc:	"David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>, amwang@...hat.com,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, Oliver Neukum <oliver@...kum.org>,
	Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@....inr.ac.ru>,
	James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>,
	Hideaki YOSHIFUJI <yoshfuji@...ux-ipv6.org>,
	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>,
	Pravin B Shelar <pshelar@...ira.com>,
	Nicolas Dichtel <nicolas.dichtel@...nd.com>,
	Mike Rapoport <mike.rapoport@...ellosystems.com>,
	Daniel Borkmann <dborkman@...hat.com>,
	Or Gerlitz <ogerlitz@...lanox.com>,
	Tom Herbert <therbert@...gle.com>,
	Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>,
	Florent Fourcot <florent.fourcot@...t-bretagne.fr>,
	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	Paul Durrant <Paul.Durrant@...rix.com>,
	"open list:USB CDC ETHERNET..." <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>,
	open list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next 3/5] ipv6: consider net.ipv6.conf.all sysctls
 when making decisions

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Stephen Hemminger
<stephen@...workplumber.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:19:11 -0400
> Milos Vyletel <milos.vyletel@...il.com> wrote:
>
>> As it is right now net.ipv6.conf.all.* are mostly ignored and instead
>> we're only making decisions based on interface specific settings. These
>> settings are coppied from net.ipv6.conf.default and changing either all
>> or default settings have no effect.
>
> Although this is the right idea conceptually, it risks creating unhappy
> users because it changes the semantics of the API. This will probably break
> somebody's configuration.

You're right but in this case I feel we are moving in the right
direction. While the
behavior will change in some cases this change is only adding well known ipv4
behavior for ipv6 sysctls. In fact documentation briefly mentioned that
net.ipv6.conf.all.* should change all the interface-specific settings
but that was
not the case until now.

Milos