Date:	Mon, 21 Jul 2014 15:51:33 +0200
From:	Daniel Borkmann <dborkman@...hat.com>
To:	Mihail Dakov <mihail.dakov@...t.com>
CC:	linux-net@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: AF_PACKET: tx_ring mirrored in rx_ring?

On 07/21/2014 03:18 PM, Mihail Dakov wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I am having a trouble using the RX/TX ring buffer for AF_PACKET sockets. I create two sockets (one for rx, one for tx). I bind those sockets to the same interface. According the docs you can create a socket per direction or single socket for both directions (allocating double the memory needed for a ring buffer, and then mapping first rx and then tx buffer). In this case I opted for creating two sockets, one per direction. The problem is that when I use the tx_ring to send over the pf_socket I see those message "mirrored" in the rx_ring buffer which is not an expected behavior for my application. In other to reproduce the issue I simplified my application into a smaller one. Then I send a manually created ping message with adjusted mac and ip address so that a remote machine in my local network answers it. I successfully see the ping request double (once in the tx_ring and once in the rx_ring). Which I think is not expected behavior. This application was tested on kernel
> 3.14.12-1 and was compiled with gcc (Debian 4.8.3-5) and on kernel 3.2.0-52-lowlatency with compiler gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3.
>
> So some questions have arised:
>
> 1. Is this normal behavior? If it is, why? I mean, if I use a socket per direction I expect to see only packets for that direction on the correspondent socket, right?
> 2. Could you provide some more insights about why this "problem" is happening? Am I doing it wrong? Did I get it wrong (the whole ring buffer in af_packets)? Am I using wrong settings?
>
> I have attached the simple program which should reproduce the issue.

It's expected behaviour (and actually also RX/TX ring independant).
Currently, when calling dev_hard_start_xmit() the kernel tries to push
local traffic back via dev_queue_xmit_nit() iff a packet socket is
present for that protocol, or for any kind of traffic for monitoring
purposes. skbs are not particularly marked for differentiating outgoing
traffic from normal protocols and from packet sockets. Even having 1
socket for RX/TX wouldn't work with your scenario as at some point in
time you need to bind to a protocol as well and we install dev_add_pack()
there, too. BPF might help in some situations, but still with a
performance penalty. You could use PACKET_QDISC_BYPASS to solve that
issue if your scenario allows for that, as here dev_queue_xmit_nit()
won't be called, and thus you won't mirror back.