Date:	Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:07:26 +0800
From:	Ming Liu <liu.ming50@...il.com>
To:	steffen.klassert@...unet.com, davem@...emloft.net,
	linux-crypto@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
CC:	herbert@...dor.apana.org.au, Xue Ying <ying.xue@...driver.com>
Subject: HELP: IPsec reordering issue

Hi, all:

I encountered a IPsec packets reordering issue, following is the setup
and scenario

     There is a IPSec IKEv1 tunnel between B & C
     The traffic is UDP from C to A @ 40 mbps
     Packets are coming in order at B but leaving out of order towards A
     If IPSec is disabled between B & C, there is no packet reordering.

The input and output of B is same physical interface but separated by
two VLANs, and we have directed all our network interrupts to one core.

As per our analysis we are suspecting below is the root cause of the
problem.
All the packets which are out of order have got -EINPROGRESS error in
below part of the code.

File: net/ipv4/esp4.c: function esp_input
   aead_request_set_callback(req, 0, esp_input_done, skb);
   aead_request_set_crypt(req, sg, sg, elen, iv);
   aead_request_set_assoc(req, asg, sizeof(*esph));

    err = crypto_aead_decrypt(req);
    if (err == -EINPROGRESS)
         goto out;

    err = esp_input_done2(skb, err);

Below is the place where the packets are either decrypted immediately or
queue for later decryption.

static int ablk_decrypt(struct ablkcipher_request *req)
{
     struct crypto_ablkcipher *tfm = crypto_ablkcipher_reqtfm(req);
     struct async_aes_ctx *ctx = crypto_ablkcipher_ctx(tfm);

     if (!irq_fpu_usable()) {
         struct ablkcipher_request *cryptd_req =
             ablkcipher_request_ctx(req);
         memcpy(cryptd_req, req, sizeof(*req));
         ablkcipher_request_set_tfm(cryptd_req, &ctx->cryptd_tfm->base);
         return crypto_ablkcipher_decrypt(cryptd_req);
     } else {
         struct blkcipher_desc desc;
         desc.tfm = cryptd_ablkcipher_child(ctx->cryptd_tfm);
         desc.info = req->info;
         desc.flags = 0;
         return crypto_blkcipher_crt(desc.tfm)->decrypt(
             &desc, req->dst, req->src, req->nbytes);
     }
}

Now the problem scenario is, if a packet came for decryption and
"irq_fpu_usable()" is not usable, then it will be queued for later
decryption and crypto_aead_decrypt will be reuturned with "-EINPROGRESS"
error. When the packets are in queue, if some more packets came and
"irq_fpu_usable()" is usable then those packets will be decrypted before
the queued packets and queued packets will get out of order.

And we've figure out a patch as the attached, the basic idea is just
queue the packets if "irq_fpu_usable()" is not usable or if there are
already few packets queued for decryption. Else decrypt the packets.

Could anybody tell if this is a appropriate fix? Or is this reordering
thing a real probelm? 'cause I know the IPsec doesn't guarantee order at
all. Appreciate it very much!

the best,
thank you

View attachment "0001-crypto-aesni-intel-avoid-encrypt-decrypt-re.patch" of type "text/x-diff" (7185 bytes)