Date:	Wed, 03 Sep 2014 19:22:46 +0200
From:	Daniel Borkmann <dborkman@...hat.com>
To:	Kostantinos Katsaros <dinos.katsaros@...il.com>
CC:	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: SCTP research inquiry

On 09/03/2014 07:07 PM, Kostantinos Katsaros wrote:
> Dear NetDev list,
>
> I am a researcher from Univ. of Surrey. I know that this list is
> mainly for developers of linux-kernel but I want to ask for some help
> to understand the SCTP implementation and pointers to some aspects.
>
> What I would actually like to do, is to modify the default SCTP
> operation with respect to primary/secondary interface selection and
> analyse it in simulations with NS-3. However, I haven't found an API
> or some other help and I was advised to contact this list. I know that
> NS-3 is capable of using linux-kernel implementations through the use
> of DCE, but my issue here is in the SCTP implementation.
>
> There a few questions I have in a basic scenario with two nodes
> connected via 2 interfaces.
>
> - How can I dynamically select which of the two interfaces is primary?
> Which method is responsible or should be called to switch?

Have a look at the implementation of sctp_select_active_and_retran_path()
and sctp_assoc_choose_alter_transport() with sctp_assoc_update_retran_path().
Make sure you use a latest 3.17 rcX as it contains the latest changes to
it (which you will find with some more explanation in the git log under
net/sctp/).