lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  PHC 
Open Source and information security mailing list archives
Hash Suite: Windows password security audit tool. GUI, reports in PDF.
[<prev] [next>] [<thread-prev] [thread-next>] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date:	Wed, 17 Sep 2014 01:23:46 +0930
From:	Rusty Russell <>
To:	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <>,
	LKML <>,,
	netdev <>
Subject: Re: Rusty away 18th September -- 11th October

"Michael S. Tsirkin" <> writes:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 10:58:03AM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
>> "Michael S. Tsirkin" <> writes:
>> > On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:26:52AM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
>> >> Hi all,
>> >> 
>> >>         Probably won't read mail.  Linus, I'll have pull requests early
>> >> next week; if there's anything needed I'm sure Michael Tsirkin can
>> >> handle it.
>> >
>> > Sure.
>> > Rusty, there's a small chance virtio 1.0 bits will be ready in time.
>> > I started working on them based on your virtio-pci-new-layout branch.
>> >
>> > If ready before the merge window, are you ok with me merging this
>> > support (without you having the opportunity to review first)?
>> Sorry, absolutely not.  I *really* want to review this in depth; if we
>> make a mistake, it's going to hurt us significantly.
> Right but it's only a merge window - we can fix bugs and even disable
> the new driver afterwards, can't we?

Yes, but if we get something wrong we have to live with it.  We made
that mistake with virtio-pci the first time around...

It isn't enough that the code 'works', it has to match the spec.  And
that requires careful thought and review.

>> And until we have the qemu bits ready, it's really hard to tell if we've
>> got this right.
> Sure, I meant if qemu bits are ready too, and if things work together.
> It wouldn't do to merge a driver that isn't ready.
>>  So I'd rather delay and make sure we're solid.
>> Thanks,
>> Rusty.
> Something else we can do, is refactoring that splits driver
> out to common and legacy bits, and changes APIs.
> No?

Yes, for sure.  But there's no hurry to get those into the merge window.

To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe netdev" in
the body of a message to
More majordomo info at

Powered by blists - more mailing lists