Date:	Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:36:44 -0700
From:	John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>
To:	Tom Herbert <therbert@...gle.com>
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	Nicolas Dichtel <nicolas.dichtel@...nd.com>,
	ryazanov.s.a@...il.com, Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@...tstofly.org>,
	aviadr@...lanox.com, Felix Fietkau <nbd@...nwrt.org>,
	Neil Jerram <Neil.Jerram@...aswitch.com>, ronye@...lanox.com,
	simon.horman@...ronome.com,
	Alexander Duyck <alexander.h.duyck@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v2 8/9] switchdev: introduce Netlink API

On 09/22/2014 04:07 PM, Tom Herbert wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch> wrote:
>>>>
>>> How is this different from what rx-filtering already does?
>>
>> Without stateful offload I can't know where the packet is destined
>> to until after I've allocated an skb and parsed the packet in
>> software. I might be missing what you refer to here specifically.
>
> n-tuple filtering in as exposed by ethtool.

n-tuple has some deficiencies,

	- its not possible to get the capabilities to learn what
	  fields are supported by the device, what actions, etc.

	- its ioctl based so we have to poll the device

	- only supports a single table, where we have devices with
	  multiple tables

	- sort of the same as above but it doesn't allow creating new
	  tables or destroying old tables.

I probably missed a few others but those are the main ones that I
would like to address. Granted other than the ioctl line the rest could
be solved by extending the existing interface. However I would just
assume port it to ndo_ops and netlink then extend the existing ioctl
seeing it needs a reasonable overall to support the above anyways.

We could port the ethtool ops over to the new interface to
simplify drivers.

.John

--
John Fastabend         Intel Corporation