Date:	Wed, 24 Sep 2014 18:18:48 +0200
From:	Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg@...bit.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Bug report: broadcast address as incomplete entry in arp table,
 effectively a blackhole; reproducer included

You have some interface you want to broadcast on,
so you resolve its broadcast address (once),
and keep sending (e.g. some continuous status updates, or "heartbeat").

For some reason that interface goes down.
If you keep sending to the previously resolved address,
that will create an incomplete arp entry.

Unfortunately, that entry *stays* there, even if the interface is then
brought back up (with the same network and broadcast settings).
Once the interface is up, you won't be able to delete that entry
(because, its a broadcast address; that arp entry is not supposed to be
there anyways; that deletion request will be filtered out early...)

Anyone trying to send to that broadcast address will now effectively
send to a black hole: there is an incomplete arp entry.

Fix is then to stop all processes sending to that address,
bring down the device, delete the arp entry, bring it back up,
and then continue all processes sending to that address.

I can reproduce this easily with the script below, anywhere I tested,
on a large variety of platforms and kernels.
(you'll obviously have to adjust DEV, BROADCAST and possibly PORT).

I suspect this is not intentional, but there is simply some
neigh_flush_dev() or similar missing "somewhere".

If you want to point me in the right direction as to probable values of
"somewhere", I'll likely be able to figure out a minimal patch myself.

If you know the right place to fix this from the top of your head,
even better ;-)

Thanks,
	Lars

#!/bin/bash

DEV=eth1
BROADCAST=192.168.133.255
PORT=6666

send_udp_broadcast()
{
exec python -c '
from socket import *
from time import sleep
from struct import pack
from datetime import datetime

s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM)
s.setsockopt(SOL_SOCKET, SO_BROADCAST, 1)
s.setsockopt(SOL_SOCKET, SO_BINDTODEVICE, pack("'$(( 1+${#DEV} ))'s","'$DEV'"))

while 1:
   s.sendto(datetime.now().strftime("hi there, it is now %T.%f"), ("'$BROADCAST'",'$PORT'))
   sleep(0.1)
'
}

p() { printf "\n"; printf "::: %s\n" "$@"; printf "%s\n" "-----------"; }

arp -n | grep $BROADCAST && {
	echo >&2 "Sorry, fix the arp table first!"
	exit 1
}

( set +x ; send_udp_broadcast ) &
kid=$!
p "[$kid] Started to send udp broadcasts on $DEV to $BROADCAST:$PORT"

p "We should see the packets being sent on $DEV"
tcpdump -n -i $DEV -c 2 -xX udp and port $PORT

p "We should not have any arp entries for $BROADCAST"
arp -n | grep $BROADCAST

p "But we soon will, after we take down $DEV"
ip link set down $DEV

sleep 2

p "Now we should have an incomplete arp entry for $BROADCAST"
arp -n | grep $BROADCAST

p "It will still be there after we bring $DEV back up"
ip link set up $DEV

p "There won't be any packets now, this should timeout:"
while read -r -t 5 line ; do
	echo "$line"
done < <(tcpdump -n -i $DEV -c 2 -xX udp and port $PORT 2>&1)

p "Because we still have that arp entry"
arp -n | grep $BROADCAST

p "And we cannot get rid of it, either, as long as this $DEV is up"
arp -d $BROADCAST
arp -n | grep $BROADCAST

p "but we can stop the child," \
  "take down the device," \
  "remove the arp entry then," \
  "and bring the device back up"

kill -STOP $kid
ip link set down $DEV
sleep 1
arp -d $BROADCAST
ip link set up $DEV
arp -n | grep $BROADCAST

p "continue the child" \
  "and now we should see outgoing packets again"

kill -CONT $kid
tcpdump -n -i $DEV -c 2 -xX udp and port $PORT

p "and no more arp entry"
arp -n | grep $BROADCAST

p "Done."
kill $kid