Date:	Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:04:10 +0000 (UTC)
From:	Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com>
To:	Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
Cc:	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>
Subject: Re: Queue with wait-free enqueue, blocking dequeue, splice

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jesper Dangaard Brouer" <brouer@...hat.com>

Yep, this is correct.

> > Here is the wfcqueue ported to the Linux kernel I sent last
> > year as RFC:
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/3/14/289
> >
> > I'm very interested to learn if it fits well for your
> > use-case,
>
> Does this wfcqueue API support bulk dequeue?  (A feature needed for the
> lock-less qdisc implementation, else it cannot compete with our new
> bulk dequeue strategy).

Yes, it does. See the "__wfcq_splice" API.

> AFAIK your queue implementation is a CAS-based, Wait-Free on enqueue,
> but Lock-Free on dequeue with the potential for waiting/blocking on
> a enqueue processes.
>  I'm not 100% sure, that we want this behavior for the qdisc system.

It's actually xchg-based (not CAS-based). It is indeed wait-free
in the strictest sense of the term on enqueue (at least on x86,
some other arch implement xchg using ll/sc, which is not strictly
wait-free).

On dequeue, it can busy-wait for a short while that the enqueue
completes. Note that in kernel, since we disable preemption during
enqueue, the dequeue does not have to ever block, just busy-looping
is OK, since the longest thing that could nest over the enqueue
is possibly an interrupt and softirq. So yes, I guess the dequeue
would qualify as lock-free.

> I can certainly use the wfcq_empty() check,

Not sure why you would want to use it, considering that the dequeue
operation implies it. If there is nothing to dequeue, we just return
immediately. Dequeue operation does not block on empty queue. It
just busy waits if it happen to see the queue in an intermediate
state of the enqueue operation (which is very short, few instructions
at most, with preemption disabled).

> but I guess I need to
> maintain a separate counter to maintain the qdisc limit, right?
> (I would use the approximate/split counter API percpu_counter to keep
> this scalable, and wfcq_empty() would provide an accurate empty check)

Yes for split counters, not sure why you need the empty check explicitly
in your use-case though.

> I think, we/I should start micro benchmarking the different approaches.
> As our time budget is only 67.2ns
>  http://netoptimizer.blogspot.dk/2014/05/the-calculations-10gbits-wirespeed.html
> (or bulking tricks artificially "increase" this budget)
>

> The motivation behind this lockless qdisc is, the current qdisc locking
> cost 48ns, see slide 9/16 titled "Qdisc locking is nasty":
>  http://people.netfilter.org/hawk/presentations/LinuxPlumbers2014/performance_tx_qdisc_bulk_LPC2014.pdf

Chances are that the scheme:

__wfcq_enqueue() on enqueue

__wfcq_splice() for bulk dequeue

__wfcq_first()
__wfcq_next()  for iteration on the splice dest queue

Would be must faster than the ton of locks you use currently.
The nice part about using just enqueue and splice is that you
don't need locking on the queue at all. Iteration on the
destination queue can be done by a single thread, so no need
for explicit locking there neither.

By the way, you should look at the kernel wfcq implementation
I posted earlier. It's more compact that the one in userspace RCU
because we don't need to support blocking/nonblocking modes,
because we have the luxury of disabling preemption in the kernel.

I look forward to see the numbers,

Thanks!

Mathieu

--