Date:	Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:14:11 +0100
From:	Pierre Pfister <pierre@...ou.fr>
To:	Daniel Borkmann <dborkman@...hat.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, liuhangbin@...il.com
Subject: Re: ipv6 mld: packets are not looped back to/from kernel/querier

Thanks for the quick answer,

See inline,

Le 28 oct. 2014 à 19:17, Daniel Borkmann <dborkman@...hat.com> a écrit :

> On 10/28/2014 05:32 PM, Pierre Pfister wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I’m implementing a dual-stack multicast querier (IGMPv3 and MLDv2) along with the PIM protocol.
>> So I’ve got two multicast sockets, one for each protocol.
>>
>> I open the two sockets like this:
>>
>> ——————————————————
>> fd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_RAW, IPPROTO_IGMP);
>> val = 1;
>> setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_IP, MRT_INIT, &val, sizeof(val));
>> setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_IP, IP_PKTINFO, &val, sizeof(val));
>> setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_IP, IP_MULTICAST_TTL, &val, sizeof(val));
>> val = 0xc0;
>> setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_IP, IP_TOS, &val, sizeof(val));
>> setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_IP, IP_OPTIONS, &ipv4_rtr_alert, sizeof(ipv4_rtr_alert))
>>
>> fd = socket(AF_INET6, SOCK_RAW, IPPROTO_ICMPV6);
>> val = 1;
>> setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_IPV6, MRT6_INIT, &val, sizeof(val));
>> setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_IPV6, IPV6_RECVHOPOPTS, &val, sizeof(val));
>> setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_IPV6, IPV6_RECVHOPLIMIT, &val, sizeof(val));
>> setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_IPV6, IPV6_MULTICAST_HOPS, &val, sizeof(val));
>> val = 2;
>> setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_RAW, IPV6_CHECKSUM, &val, sizeof(val));
>> setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_IPV6, IPV6_HOPOPTS, &ipv6_rtr_alert, sizeof(ipv6_rtr_alert));
>
> What kernel are you using? How do you setup ipv6_rtr_alert here?
>
> For inbound queries in IPv6, the kernel might be more picky after
> [correct] commit e940f5d6ba6a ("ipv6: Fix MLD Query message check"),
> so you need to make sure you have hop limit of 1 and a proper set
> up RA option …

I can reproduce the problem with both 3.10.28 and 3.14-0. I will try to try a later version.
I don’t think the packet itself can be a problem as other routers correctly receive it.
The problem comes with loopbacking to kernel and userspace (Depending whether the kernel or querier sent it).

Here is the router alert struct.
static struct {
	struct ip6_hbh hdr;
	struct ip6_opt_router rt;
	uint8_t pad[2];
} ipv6_rtr_alert = {
	.hdr = {0, 0},
	.rt = {IP6OPT_ROUTER_ALERT, 2, {0, IP6_ALERT_MLD}},
	.pad = {0, 0}
}

I also checked what that commit checks (wiresharked), and everything seems correct.

Thanks,

- Pierre