Date:	Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:11:43 +0100
From:	Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@...il.com>
To:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>, "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	"netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-usb@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Understanding what's going on when using a Huawei E173 USB 3G
 web-stick (UMTS/HSPA)

Hi,

I wanted to understand what is going on the kernel-side when
connecting to the Internet via a Huawei E173 USB web-stick (3rd
Generation: UMTS / HSPA).

Especially the correlation between the diverse USB/NET kernel-drivers
and how the networking is setup.

I have tested a Ubuntu trusty kernel on my Ubuntu/precise system and
compared the configs to get the stuff run on 3.18-rc2+.
Beyond the "option" driver, I required usb_serial / usb_wwan to be
activated and some more ("cde-ether" or sth. sound similiar...).
( Currently, I am not sitting (it's a Windows machine) in front of my
machine, so I cannot send you my latest kernel-config. )

As usually I looked into Documentation directory.
So, my 1st question where do I get some informations in general on
this topic - usb [1] or net subdirectory (seen from kernel-side)?
I found a usb-serial kernel-doc [1].
( I have no Linux Git source so I cannot grep for patterns. )

The next mystery is what is network-manager doing in the background?
I have seen that modem-manager is invoked, but as said I would like to
understand the "internas" (means check the logs, turn on some
debugging kernel-space/user-space, etc.).

I am not sure but syncing with 3G network seems to take a while since
I really can connect to the Internet.

I am happy about some fruitful informations or web-links...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt